Sunday, September 9, 2007

Burbujas de Amor

Jill Greenberg, Untitled #5

My boyfriend likes to sing in the shower. In English or in Spanish, it doesn't matter. He has this uncanny ability to remember the lyrics to songs after only hearing them once or twice. He's always telling me I should learn Spanish by listening to the music. But I have a hard enough time even understanding the words when sung in English.

This morning he was singing Burbujas de Amor, a song by Juan Luis Guerra that was wildly popular in every country where there was a sizable Spanish-speaking contingency around 1991. I was in Mexico at the time and I don't know if the song was written for the self-titled movie or if the movie came out as a result of the huge success of the song (and the same question came up in a recent dinner conversation about Against All Odds), but the basic translation is bubbles of love.

Guerra, known for reinvigorating the Dominican bachata-and there my musicology promptly ends, go to Sound Taste for the real scoop-became a crossover hit, went on to limn songs of protest before converting to Christianity and completing (or ending, depending on how you look at it) his career with albums of devotion.

Anyway, I suggest you download it. Although, the instrumentation sounds a little cheesy now, it's definitely a sing-and-dance-a-long. And not a bad way to learn a certain kind of ingenious double entendre in Spanish. Or for those in the know, a revisit of a classic that will no doubt take you back instantly. I mean, there wasn't a baptism, grocery store, or bus ride wherein that song wasn't played.
I wish I were a fish, so I could poke my nose into your fish tank and blow bubbles of love wherever you want … a fish, so I could adorn your waist with seashells and spend the whole night buried in your wetness.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The whole time I was in Mexico, there was a catchy song about bananas on the radio. It too contained double entendres.

Casey said...

anon, are you mocking me?!

Anonymous said...

No, it was very a popular song. I believe the chorus went

banana es muy rico
banana es muy sabroso