Monday, June 28, 2010

Cause there ain't no cure...

Droplets of water bead on the head of this blue dragonfly as it slumbers on a leaf

It finally feels like summer. I am getting used to not teaching, grading nor lecturing which all feels quite nice. The dog and I have done some serious bonding, as have I and the lake. There's a blush in my cheeks, a bounce in my step and a giddiness to the past few coupla weeks.

Meaning...it can't last. The long days are, from here on out only going to get shorter. The end of my vacation will eventually approach. And that feeling of encroaching doom that has always lurked around summer vacation's corners will rear it's ugly head. We all know the inevitables.

But for the time being I get to travel to the east coast. I get to try and make a movie. I get to go out and stomp around in my skirt and cowboy boots and sample the mens a little bit. It's precious the time, especially when we have it. And for now I get to ask myself: what is it that I want to do with this day? This hour? This moment? In figuring out how to spend the hard-earned currency of my precious time off, I invite wandering, getting lost, and staring out the window. And with each new day I look forward to the empty expanse stretching out ahead of me.

No comments: