Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The house alone

From Empty LA by Matt Logue

The house without the boyfriend feels big. Like one could suffocate in an ocean of too much space. The bed is too wide now, the ceilings too high, the couch twice as long as it should be. The list could go on. Everything feels suddenly new and completely worn out at the same time: the stains in the carpet, the scuffs on the wall, the chips in the paint. And I guess that holds true for me as well. Caught between the newness of being alone and the familiarity of having been here before. I think they call that deja vu.

And so we trudge onward. Trying to hang our head high and look at the bright side. Now I have this awesome space to myself. The dishes will more or less get done. The pantry will lean towards stocked. And I suddenly get to be the steward of my own imperfect life.

3 comments:

Alan Smithee said...

This is the beginning of so many great films.

Casey said...

That, my friend, is looking on the bright side. However, I try not to recall that moment in Runaway Bride where Julia Roberts has to figure out how she prefers her eggs...

om/ar said...

"How do you think I feel?" said the boyfriend.