Thursday, September 27, 2007

Short history of the earth

Kim Keever, from Short History of the Earth

Ironically, I am here in the city where the sun gazes down on it's inhabitants cheerfully 365 days of the year to edit a film about ice. It's odd to be back in a place that changes so little. Buried in a stuffy little edit room, scouring through snowy vistas of alpine ski-resorts, shots of blocks of ice gathered from hundreds-year old glaciers, and people bundled up in fancy Gortex parkas, there was a moment yesterday where I actually felt a chill. And then I stood up, realized I hadn't put the fan on all day, and that my pants wet with sweat were sticking to my chair.

I know. Gross.

But that's not all. Besides being sunny, this town has an enormous capacity for consumption. Last night under the full moon and the warm Santa Anas, I walked with my friend, the struggling writer who lives with his family, through a part of town that while being quite lovely and walkable was nothing more than an elongated mall. Shops and shops lined this promenade, all of which remained open til nearly ten. Walking beyond the shops, the blocks than stretched into rows and rows of restaurants, large and windowed, waiters standing by to greet the guests that would never come. Did these places ever fill up? So much space! So little occupancy! I felt sad for all of us: for the businesses that couldn't fill their seats, for the customers who–judging by the amount of restaurants open for business, had never had to cook a meal–and for me, realizing that we as a society would never be cured of this kind of relentless consumption.

I know, I know. Speak for yourself. We aren't all like that all the time. Most of us can't afford to be. And I myself was there for a dining experience with a friend whom I hadn't seem in a while at a small inconspicuous bistro where the corkage was cheap, and his uncle supplied the wine.

And I know, I know, that same city where I live has the exact same problems. I just know the right places to avoid that don't remind me quite as blatantly of my consumerism, visit only the areas I feel comfortable in, all the while trying to support the local Mom and Pops. But I guess I am saying that it makes me sad to find myself caught up in the same mindset (I have a wedding to attend this weekend and had to shop for a dress, than shoes to go with a dress, than underwear to wear with the dress, a small bag to go with the dress). It makes me sad that this if often the easiest thing to do. To buy thoughtlessly, wherever the cheapest shit is available, no matter the unfair labor practices behind the manufacturing, the toxins released into the environment, or the lead-in-the-paint of the actual on-the-shelf object.

And it makes me sad looking around at all these shops and restaurants, at all the people out for the evening enjoying themselves through purchase, that once we behave like this, and once we have taken it all for granted, we will never be able to act differently.

View of artist's studio set-up

3 comments:

om/ar said...

I take umbrage at the apsersion cast upon CONSUMERISM good lady! It is nothing less than the Vermouth in the Maritini of global stability. I usually enjoy your electronic publication--but have a care. I could yet stage a boycott!

Kurt said...

And Reverend Billy of the Church of Stop Shopping is in jail!

Casey said...

A link would have been helpful Kurt. I had to Google his name and then find the referring NYT article. The whole thing took about 30 seconds. Hrmph! You really could have saved me the trouble.